If you follow me on Twitter, you have surely noticed that I’m excited about the CSA we’re participating in this summer and fall. After reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma, I really wanted to change the way I approach food. I immediately started looking for a local CSA and got on the waiting list for the New Earth Farm CSA here in Virginia Beach. I got an email early in the spring letting me know that there was a spot free if we wanted it. This week is our first pick-up week.
Unfortunately, I worked yesterday so I didn’t get to go with Dan to the farm. If I had, I would have taken a picture of all the greens before they were washed and stored, but you’ll have to settle for a picture of our jampacked crispers. Here’s a list of what we got in the share this week:
- Arugula – I’ve already made some pesto with this that I’ll blog about.
- Mizuna – Japanese mustard greens. We’ll throw this in salads.
- Green Kale – I love kale! I’ll wilt this with red onions, garlic and vegetable broth.
- Black Kale – This is new to me, and I’m going to make the recipe for Portuguese Kale-Potato-Sausage Soup the CSA included in this week’s newsletter.
- Deer Tongue Lettuce – For salads.
- Tatsoi – Here’s a description of tatsoi. I’ll treat it like spinach. We got several bunches of this so it will feature in most meals this week.
- Garlic Scapes – This is a part of the garlic plant that farmers cut off so the garlic will keep growing. It’s edible, and I made pesto with it (yes, I love pesto and made two kinds already). I’ll blog that also.